Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Judgement of the Six Series

Hope(less)
Judgement of the Six: Book 1
By: Melissa Haag
4 1/2 Stars
 
Hope(less) is the first book in the Judgement of the Six series. This series is classified as New Adult which I am finding myself in love with as apposed to YA.  There is a not sex scene and only a few making out scenes, so this is a very mild book but an awesome read.  Melissa Haag does not disappoint in this paranormal romance.  Actually, I am now quite obsessed with this series so much that I contacted Ms. Haag to let her know and ask to review and blog about the series.

Ok folks, I consider myself a paranormal connoisseur (I kind of got stuck on the genre for a few years) and I can not get enough of this book.  It is so good that it makes me want to go back on a paranormal binge.  The beginning started off slightly slow and unusual making me think ok what have I gotten myself into, but quickly picked up the pace.  The characters were flawed, believable, and as realistic as supernaturally possible.  The plot was uniquely one of a kind and the character development was spot on.  With this being said there was not much that I didn’t like except for Sam and we will get to that.

Breaking down the characters is something that can either make or break an author.  I love the heroine Gabby. She is resilient due to foster care, unique due to her “ability”, and hard headed to the core.  She makes the perfect female lead for this story.  Clay, Clay, Clay…where to start.  If you walked up to me in a dark alley I might pee myself, but none the less I love you!  Clay is the quit, dark and brooding hero to Gabby’s outspoken self.  He has spent his childhood motherless in wolf form in the woods.  He is scruffy and most comfortable as wolf.   Sam who is sort of a guardian figure to Gabby is almost creepy and I really didn’t care for him that much.  He finds Gabby, takes her out of foster care because she appeals to werewolves and he wants to protect her.  I think he is using her, but not sure why.  Maybe the other books will clue us in.

The plot is like nothing like the past werewolf books I have read.  I like that there was an
“introduction room” for meeting potential mates.  I also liked that the heroine was mostly in wolf form the whole book.  That is a first for me.  I also like the budding romance between Clay and Gabby.  It was a slow burning buildup.  Perfection!

The way that the characters developed in this book is well written.  The fact that Gabby started off trusting no one and didn’t like to be touched and in the end we see her open up and rely on Clay was endearing.  And Clay did a total transformation, I really liked that.  I also am curious about Luke and if Gabby is right about his mate and if she is one of the six.  That would be a great plot.  I guess I will just have to wait and see.  So if you are in the look out for a new take on an old folklore, pick up this series.  I’m sure you will devour it like I did and be left wanting more.  I have to give this book 4 big stars.
Synopsis
Our world is being judged and we remain unaware.

In a world filled with people, Gabby is uniquely alone. The tiny glowing sparks filling her mind that represent the people around her, confirm it as does the bizarre inexplicable draw she has on men.

Struggling to find an explanation for her sight while dodging unwanted male attention, Gabby meets Sam. The chance encounter leads to a startling revelation - werewolves are real.

Hoping the existence of something so extraordinary might lead to the answers she is seeking, Gabby enters into a hidden society where fur is optional. There she meets Clay, the werewolf delusional enough to think he has a chance with her. Gabby's plans for her future do not include a mate, but rather college, career, and then a huge 'we'll see'.

Gabby leaves the furry hidden society behind when she moves off to college, but trouble has a way of following and finding her. When other werewolves start stalking her, and anomalies in the sparks she sees begin to appear, she must count on Clay's help or risk loosing the chance to find the answers she searches for.

 



(Mis)fortune
Judgment of the Six # 2
by Melissa Haag
 
 4 1/2 Stars
 
(Mis)fortune is the second installment in the Judgment of the Six series by Melissa Haag.  This series is one of my favorite  NA paranormal series.  I was blown away with the first book in the series Hope(less) and the addition to the series did not let me down.

In starting off this book I hoped Ms. Haag would pick up where the last book left off with.  *Spolier Alert*  ***Gabby giving Luke a hint of his mate***  But this book took a whole new direction with a new set of characters.  Usually I don’t like series that don’t follow the previous books characters.

 Ms. Haag set up Luke’s story so nicely when I dove in I was a little confused until I started reading.  After the first few chapters things fell into place and the plot was set up nicely.  This book almost felt like a prequel and the back-story would have been nice to have before book one, but nevertheless I loved this book and the series!

The plot in this book gives us more info on the “six” and the special abilities they have (each one is different).  The romance is also so sweet and hot at the same time.  Melissa has an extraordinary writing style and I can say that I would read her children’s school excuses.  Seriously, that’s how good she is.

 The characters are so raw, flawed and beautiful.  And I fell in love with Emmitt.  Can we say tall, scary, and sexy as hell?  I also loved the comic relief of Jim who really needs his own book.  I know he probably doesn’t have anything to do with the six, but I really like him.  The way he took the boys as his own made me love him more.

 This series is really coming together and I can’t wait to see where the next chapter takes us!  Melissa takes paranormal romance to the next level.

 Synopsis:

Our world is being judged and even they remain unaware.

Michelle, another young woman with an unexplainable gift, finds herself surrounded by the previously undiscovered werewolf society. Kept prisoner for the predictions that torment her, she meekly follows orders waiting for her opportunity to run. When her stepfather dies, she takes a chance and escapes.

After witnessing Blake, her captor, grow canines, she knows he will do anything to find her. She needs a place to hide and someone to listen to her predictions so her head doesn’t explode, but knows there’s nowhere she can hide forever, and no one who can protect her… unless she can find someone just like him.

Part of the fur wearing faction wants to use her, another part strives to keep her safe. The second book of the Judgement of the Six series will raise more questions about the purpose of these gifted few and Michelle will need to fight for answers. Will what she discovers be enough to help her keep those she loves safe from an emerging evil?



(Un)wise

Judgment of the Six # 3

by Melissa Haag

 
 
5 Stars
(Un)wise is the third addition to Melissa Haag’s Judgment of the Six series.  When she asked me if I wanted a review copy I wanted to say hell yeah, but I played it cool and thanked her for it.  I was so excited that she thought of me to send a review ARC to.  So thanks Melissa for thinking of me!

 
Now to the review…I read the first two books in this series in one sitting and knew that I would love this installment just as much.  I really didn’t know how much I had missed this series until I dove right in a got swept away AGAIN.

 
Then when I found out it was Luke’s story that made it all the better.  I have been waiting for this story since the end of book one and Melissa didn’t disappoint.  From the plot to the characters this book was perfection. 

 
We learn so much more in this plot about the six females and the wolves set out to destroy them.  I really appreciated Bethi’s gift and this book gives us so much more insight and back-story of both wolves and the six.  But this paranormal romance also had action, humor, and one HOT persistent wolf. 


I don’t want to get into too much of the plot because I tend to spoil the book in a BIG way so I will just say trust me and pick up a copy of this wonderful writer’s series.

 
I can not say enough good things about Melissa’s writing style, plot lines, and creative characters.  I am so in love with this series it has quickly become one of my most favorite series ranking up there with Sookie Stackhouse, Cat and Bones, and The Black Daggar Brotherhood. 


I am still trying to decide which book is my favorite, but by far this series is sure to be a fan favorite.

 
I just wanted to thank Melissa again for thinking of me for an ARC copy.  Please keep writing book worth reading!  You have once again blown me away with your awesome characters and unique plot lines.  I am a fan for life and can’t wait to see where this series takes us.

 

Synopsis:

 

The dreams start and Bethi’s very normal life goes down the toilet. Reliving past lives, where Dog-men chase her and she sees her eventual tormented death, Bethi sets out to find a way to live this time around. The dreams hint at an answer. She needs to be strong enough to find it, or die…

The third installment of the Judgement of the Six answers questions, questions answers, and risks the fate of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment